Saturday, March 3, 2012

Session Ends, Steak and Cross County Museum Eat and Greet

In the early morning hours Monday Jay, Jennifer, Nicholas and Hunt left for the Memphis International Airport for flights to their respective cities. With laundry started I waited for the remaining weekend guests to arrive from their motel down the street. Joe, Melva, Zula and I had a nice "brunch" at Colby's. Jim's mother, Zula, offered to quilt the quilt top I had pieced several years ago. We headed to the local fabric store, Fabrics and More, to purchase backing. I wanted a coordinating fabric with a pattern. After listening to how expensive the fabric was from my mother-in-law, Zula, and pointing out that she wasn't paying for it, the purchase was made. The group left shortly for their drive home to Eureka Springs.
My brother-in-law Joe informed me that the weather on Tuesday was predicted to be stormy. He suggested that I drive on to Little Rock to avoid the weather. I had planned to join Jim there for the end of the fiscal session. Jim and Stan both left on Sunday night. Stan had school and Jim had an early morning meeting. I finished the laundry, threw some clothes in the car and I was off. I stopped briefly for a hamburger in Bald Knob and made it to LR in time for a short nap before dinner at The Butcher Block with friends. Dinner with friends made the trip worthwhile. The bad weather never developed. Windy but beautiful!
Spring Has Arrived In Arkansas

It was good to sleep in on Tuesday. I spent a lazy morning at the apartment before joining Jim for lunch downstairs where the City of Jonesboro was hosting the meal. I decided to spend the afternoon shopping. We began our evening with the Turkish Awards Dinner. We visited with our Turkish friends and enjoyed tasting some of the Turkish dishes we enjoyed during our trip to Turkey last June. Next we left to visit the library of a rare book collector and learn about rare books and collecting.  Later we had dinner at Arthur's Steak House with members of the term limited Senate members ("The Senior Caucus").
Turkish Reception and Awards Dinner
Turkish Feast


Scallops At Arthur's Steak House

Wednesday I spent time at the Capitol and had lunch with friends at Vieux Carre. This is one of my favorite restaurants in Little Rock. The food is fresh and inventive. The atmosphere is always pleasant and the service is excellent. More shopping after lunch. For dinner we joined a group at the Riverfront Steak House in North Little Rock. That makes three steak restaurants this week. I've found that steak houses usually have good seafood. I only ordered steak one night.

Senator Teague and Senator Luker at Vieux Carre
Thursday the term limited members of the Senate each spoke for a few minutes about their service. Each shared personal experiences and reflected on what public service has meant to them. These members have become personal friends. I will miss them. They will serve until January but this is the last session they will participate in. Shortly after the "speeches" I started home.
Senator Luker Addressing The Senate

Friday the Cross County Museum hosted  Eat and Greet. The event was in honor of the 60th anniversary of Jack and Esther Killough. The guests enjoyed the delicious food prepared by Esther while viewing the exhibits and catching up on local events with old friends and new.

Enjoying A Game Of Checkers At The Old Country Store
Indian Pottery
Parkin Was Well Represented
Food Prepared by Esther Killough


Until next week, Peace and ♥.
Myra

No comments:

Post a Comment