Sunday, July 6, 2014

Arkansas Lower Delta

Over the 4th of July weekend, my husband and I took a road trip down the lower Arkansas delta. I wanted to see the "new" bridge at Lake Village that crosses the Mississippi River and Lakeport Plantation. On the way we found several interesting places to stop.

Turkey Scratch, Arkansas -
Levon Helm's old stomping grounds

The A.B. Thompson Store in Turkey Scratch
 

We stopped at the Arkansas Post Museum.
I took this photograph of the iron collection.
I really like the pretty blue one.

1686

Pretty quilt in the old dog trot house at the museum.

The museum is operated by the Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism

Just down the road is the Arkansas Post National Memorial.
We watched the 20 minute movie about the history of Arkansas Post.
In the photo are all of the flags that have flown over Arkansas Post.

Pretty wild ground cover at the Arkansas Post Memorial
 

These plants were along the tree line growing in old rotting leaves.
 

Bonnies Café in Watson, Arkansas
 This definitely says Delta to me.

I got a few chiggers photographing this character!
 


Rohwer Japanese American Relocation Center
 
 

Beautiful cypress swamp in Southeast Arkansas

Lake Chicot - Lake Village, Arkansas

The Original Doe's Eat Place
Greenville, Mississippi
We frequently eat at Doe's in Little Rock but I've always wanted to eat at the one in Greenville, MS.
It was closed for the 4th of July.

I took this photograph crossing the bridge between Lake Village, AR and Greenville, MS.
It was blurred by the movement of the car but I like the way it looks with a bit of editing.
 
Bridge between Lake Village and Greenville (2010)
  

One of the lovely old homes in Helena-West Helena, Arkansas.
 
We had a fun and relaxing holiday visiting historical sites and enjoying the beauty not far from home.
We even found time to visit old friends along the way and enjoy a lunch of bacon, lettuce and home grown Arkansas tomato sandwiches!
 
While in Lake Village we stopped by Lakeport Plantation.
Lakeport is an Arkansas State University Heritage Site.
I will share my photographs in the next post.
 
♥andPeace,Myra

No comments:

Post a Comment