Monday, June 25, 2012

Container Gardening

I have always enjoyed gardening. I remember when I was young and would go "calling" on the neighbors with my mother, no visit was complete without a tour of the garden. In the rural area where I grew up this consisted of a yard with various flowers and shrubs planted in any patch of dirt available with no real plan in mind. However haphazard the design, the result usually was colorful and interesting and worthy of the grand tour on the way to the car.

I never knew anyone to purchase bedding plants. They were grown from seeds or rooted from  cuttings from a friend. Only occasionally a special shrub or tree would be purchased from Hodges Nursery nearby. The country garden was truly a labor of love.

I no longer enjoy crawling around on my hands and knees or working long hours in the hot sun. I do still enjoy working with plants in containers.

Last year I decided to try over-wintering several plants with good results. The garage has windows and stays fairly warm in the winter. The mandevilla, cigar plant, and angel wing begonia all survived the winter in the garage. I also have a potted oleander from last year.


Mandevilla in a larger pot this year.




Cigar or Firecracker Plant
This shrub loses all its leaves. I cut back the branches before putting it in the spring sunshine.

Angel-wing Begonia
The angel-wing can be grown indoors. Cuttings root easily in water for additional plants.


One of my favorite container annuals is the wave petunia.

Picasso
I found the Picasso Petunia on a "new plants to try" list.

Containers do require frequent watering. I am fortunate to have my mother "volunteer" to help with the watering if I have to be away for a few days.

♥andPeace, Myra


No comments:

Post a Comment