Monday, June 20, 2016

Passau, Germany

I recently returned from the Danube Waltz -  Viking River Cruise. This was my first river cruise and I hope it will not be my last! Viking took very good care of us.

Our cruise began in Passau, Germany.



The fortress "Veste Oberhaus" was built in 1219.
Following changes over the centuries the castle now has gothic, renaissance and baroque parts.


St. Stephen's Cathedral
Europe's largest pipe organ with more than 17,000 pipes.
Attended organ concert while in Passau.



After a devastating town fire in 1662 the cathedral was rebuilt by baroque architect Carlo Lurago. The stucco works were by Giovanni Battista Carlone and the frescos were painted by Carpoforo Tencalla.





St. Stephen's Cathedral


Passau is known as the "City of Three Rivers".
The Danube, Inn and Ilz Rivers meet in Passau.


Narrow cobblestone streets


Frescos in St. Stephen's


Passau is located on the German-Austrian border.


The architecture was wonderful.
Rococo and baroque around every corner.





Our ship the Viking Legend



Wonderful detail in the metal and woodwork.



I hope you will join me for the remainder of my cruise.

❤️and peace,Myra











No comments:

Post a Comment