Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Rome (Italy Chapter 1)

Since I am a newcomer to blogging, and my blog is named "Journey", I decided to include some of my travels prior to becoming a blogger. June 2009 I traveled to Rome and the Amalfi Coast with a tour group. I would like to share some of my photographs. I will divide the trip into segments because we went to so many different places.

We flew to Rome and spent a couple of days experiencing the city. We spent a lot of time walking. We walked to dinner nearly every night. It was a good way to really experience the city. I loved all the little cobblestone alleyways - I think they actually considered them streets. In some cases we had to move over to make way for one of the tiny little cars they drive in Italy or to avoid being mowed down by a motorbike.

I loved the little tables along the streets. They had beautiful tablecloths.
The Spanish Steps
We spent some time at the Spanish Steps on the way to our restaurant one evening. 
Trevi Fountain

Yes, I did toss a coin into the fountain. I hope it works because I really do want to return one day!

Wild Flowers at the Colosseum

The Colosseum

The Colosseum was sooooo big!  You can just imagine from the photograph below. See how small the people are and that is one tiny section. Can you imagine the place being filled with cheering Romans in ancient times?
Inside the Colosseum


The Arch of Constantine

The Arch of Constantine is adjacent to the Colosseum.
Vatican City




There was art of every description in Vatican City. The two photographs above were in a hallway leading to the Sistine Chapel. We did visit the Chapel, however, no photography was allowed.


The Pope's Apartment (top right)

St. Peter's Basilica
No trip to the Vatican City would be complete without seeing St. Peter's.


Our group had a tour guide for the day we went to the Colosseum and The Vatican. She was full of interesting information and fun stories that she seemed to enjoy sharing. She lived within site of The Vatican.

I saw this movie poster while in Rome.


Dinner with Opera

At dinner one evening we were treated to opera. When in Rome, right?

We returned to Rome for one more night following our journey down the Amalfi Coast. In my next Chapter I will take you to Ravello and along the Amalfi Coast.

♥and Peace, Myra

No comments:

Post a Comment